Strength of Materials Lab. of Hokudai
- Engineering, Hokkaido University, room A5-21, Sapporo city, 060-8628 JAPAN
Exprerimental, theoretical and computational study on the constitutive
law of deformable solids
Notice for students is given here in Japanese:
- Hiroyuki Kato, associate professor,
hkatoATeng.hokudai.ac.jp Tel. 81.11.706.6365
- D.Mizuno, R.Takahashi, S.Torii, K.Watanabe : Master 2
- T.Kiuchi, T.Nakatani, J.Kawakami, H.Wakatake :Master 1
- K.Asano, H.Suzuki, Y.Shimizu, R.Kukutsu: Bachelor 4
Prof. Kazuaki Sasaki retired from Hokudai this spring. The Labo's alumni
party was held on Sat. 11th of this March. The pictures are here: http://mech-hm.eng.hokudai.ac.jp/~sm/OB
The latest presentation/publication
Shape Memory Effect and Superelasticity of Textured NiTi Alloy Wires, H.Kato,
S.Fukushima and K.Sasaki, in Advances in Shape Memory Materials, ed. QP.Sun, R.Matsui, K.Takeda, EA.Pieczyska, Springer (2017), p.43-50.
Energetics of functional fatigue in superelastic NiTi alloy, H.Kato, T.Kiuchi
and K.Sasaki, proceeding of International Workshop on Advances in Shape
Memory Materials, March 27-28, 2017 Nagoya Japan. pp.39-40.
Field of my interest
- Instability of solids during deformation
- Role of lattice defects for the mechanical behavior of crystals
- Sensing technology of surface geometry
Research Objectives 2017
- Kinetics of the collective motion of particles (sand and snow)
- Beveling method in contact mechanics/ Sensing by finger touch
- BEM analysis of dislocation and disclination
- Disclination in the scaling problem of microstructures
- Taylor problem of textured polycrystal NiTi SMA
- Stephan problem of the heat conduction during solid-solid phase change
- Phase field of the D'lambert solution for moving boundary in SMA
- Auto-catalysis in the functional fatigue in NiTi SMA
- Micro NiTi SMA wires
Master degree thesis 2017-2018
- Size dependence of micro indentation hardness/ exp and ANSYS/ Takahashi
- Flow of sand and snow as the collective motion of particles/ computation/
- Breakage of baseball bats/ FEM/ Kawakami
- Elastic strain field of disclination dipole/ BEM/ Torii
- Phase field modeling of martensitic tranformation in SMA / computation/
- Finger sensing of unkown objects beneath the skin/ ANSYS/ Watanabe and
- Heat conduction during pulse heating of SMA wires/ exp and computation/
- Micromechanics / Disclination / Creep / Thermodynamics / Variational
principle  / etc.
- Single crystals [6-8]/ Structure materials (Steels [9,10], Al, Mg )/
Powder metallurgy[12,13] / etc.
- Martensite Structure in Polycrystalline Fe-Pd, H.Kato, T.Wada, Y.Liang,
M.Taya, T.Mori, Material Science and Engineering-A, 332/1-2, 2002, 134-139.
- Disclination model applied to elastic incompatibility at grain boundary
triple line, T.Hosoya, H.Kato, K.Sasaki, Transaction of the JSME, 2015,
- High Temperature Plasticity of the beta-phase in Nearly-Equiatomic Nickel-Titanium
Alloys, H.Kato, T.Yamamoto, S.Hashimoto and S.Miura, Materials Transactions,
JIM, Vol.40, 1999, 343-350.
- Clausius–Duhem inequality description of superelasticity in Ni–Ti polycrystal
as a dissipative process, Y. Yasuda, H. Kato, K. Sasaki, Scripta Materialia,
2012, Vol.66, pp. 939–942.
- Phenomenological model of variant change during magnetization of martensite,
H.Kato, K.Sasaki, Philosophical Magazine Letters, Vol.84, No.5, 2004, 283-291.
- Effect of Aging on Pseudoelastic Behaviour in Cu-15.0at.%Sn Alloy Single
Crystals, H.Kato, N.Hirata, S.Miura, Acta Metallurgica et Materialia,Vol.43,
- Superelasticity and Shape Memory Effect in Cu-23at.%Al-7at.%Mn Alloy Single
Crystal, H.Kato, J.Dutkiewicz and S.Miura, Acta Metallurgica et Materialia,
Vol.42, 1994, p.135
- Microstructural Aspect of the FCC to FCT transformation During Deformation
in gamma-Mn Cu Alloy Single Crystals,H.Kato and S.Miura, Philosophical
Magazine A, Vol.71, 1995, 781-803.
- Back stress work hardening confirmed by Bauschinger effect in a TRIP steel
using bending tests, H. Kato, R.Moat, T. Mori, K.Sasaki, PJ Withers, ISIJ
International, 2014, Vol. 54, No.7, 1715-1718.
- Four-point bending test of the Bauschinger effect in prestrained IF steel
thin sheet, H. Kato, K. Sasaki, T. Mori, Materials Science & Engineering
A, 2015, 642, p.150-156.
- Four-point bending test of determining stress-strain curves asymmetric
between tension and compression, H. Kato, Yutaka Tottori, K. Sasaki, Experimental
Mechanics, 2014, 54, 489–492.
- Stress-strain Behavior and Shape Memory Effect in Powder Metallurgy TiNi Alloys, H.Kato, T.Koyari, M.Tokizane and S.Miura, Acta Metallurgica et Materialia, Vol.42, 1994, p.1351.
- Martensitic transformation and microstructure of Ti-rich Ti–Ni as-atomized
powders, T.Yamamoto, H.Kato,Y.Murakami, H.Kimura, A.Inoue, Acta Materialia, 56, 2008, 5927-5937.
HK thanks to co-authors:
Sei Miura, prof emeritus Kyoto U, Kyoto
T Mori, prof emeritus Tokyo Inst Tech, Tokyo
Minoru Taya, prof Univ. Washington, Seattle
Yuanchung Liang, former Research associate U Washignton, Seattle
Taishi Wada, prof. associate Yokohama NU/ Kyoto U
Jan Dutkiewicz, prof Polish Academy of Science, Krakow
Jan Van Humbeeck, prof. KU Leuven, Belgium
Richard Moat, prof The Open University, GB
PJ Withers, prof U Manchester, GB
Takafumi Hosoya, PhD student of Hokkaido U, now at JSW, Muroran
Yohei Yasuda, PhD studnet of Hokkaido U, now at Kanazawa U
Masaharu Tokizane, prof emeritus Ritsumeikan U (gone)
Takashi Koyari, graduate student of Kyoto U, now The Sangi-in Diet member
Tokujiro Yamamoto, prof. Utsunomiya U, Gunma
Yutaka Tottori, graduate student Hokkaido U, now Sapporo city Hall,
Kazuaki Sasaki, prof emeritus Hokkaido U, Sapporo
and many many others